Christmas Red Cabbage Recipes
Traditional Braised Red Cabbage with Applessource: Delia Smith
¼ level teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ level teaspoon ground cloves
¼ whole nutmeg, freshly grated
½oz (15g) butter
1 clove garlic, chopped very small
1lb (450g) cooking apples, peeled, cored and chopped small
1lb (450g) onions, chopped small
2lb (1kg) red cabbage
3 level tablespoons brown sugar
3 tablespoons wine vinegar
salt and freshly milled black pepper
Where to buy the ingredients
Where to buy Delia Smith's Christmas cook book
1. Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 2, 300°F (150°C).
2. First discard the tough outer leaves of the cabbage, cut it into quarters and remove the hard stalk.
3. Then shred the rest of the cabbage finely, using your sharpest knife (although you can shred it in a food processor).
4. Next, in a fairly large casserole dish, arrange a layer of shredded cabbage seasoned with salt and pepper, then a layer of chopped onions and apples with a sprinkling of garlic, spices and sugar.
5. Continue with these alternate layers until everything is in.
6. Now pour in the wine vinegar, lastly add dots of butter on the top.
7. Put a tight lid on the casserole and let it cook very slowly in the oven for 2-2½ hours, stirring everything around once or twice during the cooking.
Red cabbage, once cooked, will keep warm without coming to any harm, and it will also re-heat very successfully. It can also be frozen.
Serves 10 to 12